Edward D. Yoder, Treasurer
Macon County Office Building
141 South Main Street, Room 302
Decatur, IL 62523
Phone: (217) 424-1426
M-F 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
excluding legal holidays
The County Treasurer's office plays a vital role in the lives of Macon County residents. The office collects 55,000 tax bills each year. This revenue is critical to schools, libraries, parks, municipalities and to the Macon County government itself, which provides a myriad of social services to county residents.
The primary functions of the County Treasurer can be grouped into three major categories: the receipt and collection of revenue, the safekeeping of revenue, and the appropriate accounting for and disbursement of revenue. All other duties flow out of one of those functions or from a request from the local governing body.
The Treasurer's duties include:
- Collecting property taxes (on real estate and mobile homes).
- Investing county monies - both long-term and short-term investments.
- Disbursing tax revenue to school districts, municipalities, libraries and other taxing subdivisions.
- Administering the credit card payment programs to make paying property taxes more convenient and less burdensome.
- Collecting delinquent taxes, including the selling of delinquent property tax liens.
- Administer the Senior Citizens’ Real Estate Tax Deferral Program
The Treasurer is an elected official serving a four-year term and serves all residents of Macon County. Illinois Law governs all procedures and processes of the Treasurer's Office.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Real Estate Tax Due Dates
2017 Tax Bill FAQ
Understanding Your Tax Bill
Real Estate Payment
Mobile Home Taxes
Late Paying Taxes
Address Change Procedure
FOIA [Freedom of Information Act] Contacts
NOTE: This is ONLY for FOIA requests, NOT for information regarding Tax Bills.
Requests for information and public records under FOIA for the Macon County Treasurer can be made in writing, subject to fees, to:
Macon County Treasurer FOIA [Freedom of Information Act] Officer
141 S. Main St.
Decatur, IL 62523
Click here for FOIA Request Form (PDF)